Mexican Cauliflower SquaresHere is an easy vegetarian entree that your family and friends will enjoy. Serve it with plenty of sour cream and salsa, as well as a side of Colorful Mexican Coleslaw.
- 3 c cauliflower, chopped (about 1/2 of a large trimmed cauliflower)
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 - 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 c baking mix (such as Bisquick or Jiffy Mix)
- 1/4 tsp oregano or dry cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish (6 cup size).
- Place the cauliflower in a medium saucepan and barely cover with water.
- Bring to boiling over medium heat. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain well and place back in the pot (off the flame).
- Mix in the onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and salt.
- Spread this vegetable mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a wire whisk or fork.
- Add the milk, fajita seasoning and salt and continue beating.
- Blend in the shredded cheese until it is evenly distributed in the batter.
- Add the baking mix, and blend just enough to incorporate and dissolve any large lumps. (The batter should not be entirely smooth.)
- Pour this batter over the vegetables and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.