Broccoli-Cauliflower Casserole with Wheat Berries
This dish is made with our Casserole-Ready Wheat Berries recipe. Assemble this dish in the morning, refrigerate, then bake it off before your company arrives. This is a one dish meal that is perfect with a salad and homemade bread.
- 3 c well-cooked wheat berries
- 2 c chopped broccoli
- 2 c chopped cauliflower
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese (divided use)
- 1-10 oz can cream of celery condensed soup
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp savory (or use rosemary)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked coarse black pepper
*See our recipe for Casserole-Ready Wheat Berries. Use standard wheat berries or Khorasan wheat berries.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wheat berries, broccoli, cauliflower, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese (reserving the rest for topping).
- Add condensed soup (undiluted), sour cream, eggs, mustard powder, savory, salt to taste (if needed), and pepper. Stir well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and smooth top. Sprinkle top with remaining half-cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake 60-70 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbling at edges. Serve hot or warm.