Frankfurter CasseroleHere is a one-dish family meal that will please even picky eaters. It has all of the food groups in one casserole and tastes delicious. This is a great dish to bring to a pot luck supper as well.
- 2 c potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 2 c frozen broccoli or cauliflower/broccoli mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 3 slices bread, cubed
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 tsp onion powder or granulated onion
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 3 vegetarian frankfurters, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- salt, pepper, paprika
- Place potatoes, broccoli, salt, and enough water to cover in medium saucepan and bring to boil. Turn down heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 10-12 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish. In a large skillet over low heat, melt the 2 Tbsp of butter and stir in bread cubes. Toss until evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix soup, cheese, sour cream, milk, onion powder, mustard and cayenne. Stir in the potatoes, broccoli, and frankfurters. Turn into prepared casserole dish and top with a thick layer of buttered bread cubes. Press the bread cubes down slightly. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until the bread cubes are crispy.