Crunchy Cauliflower CasseroleThis dish is a variant on the British specialty, Cauliflower Cheese. It has the addition of green onions and rice, and this dish makes a wonderful side dish for any vegetarian entree.
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp margarine or butter (divided use)
- 1 bunch green onions, coarsely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1-10 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 oz American deli cheese or sharp cheddar, finely diced
- 1 1/2 c cooked rice
- 1/3 c coarse dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F, and butter a 6-8 cup casserole dish.
- Trim and cut the cauliflower into florets. In a medium pot containing 3 cups of boiling salted water, drop the cauliflower and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large heavy pot over medium low, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the margarine, and saute the green onion, garlic and caraway seeds for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, mustard powder, turmeric powder, salt and pepper and heat for a minute. Add the milk and whisk until thickened, smooth, and beginning to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until mostly melted. Add the rice and stir. Fold in the cauliflower until it is coated well. Spoon into the prepared dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of margarine and fold in the bread crumbs until they are well coated. Sprinkle the buttered crumbs evenly over the casserole. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until beginning to bubble around the edges. Serve hot.