Creole Red Pepper Potato CasseroleWhen you have an abundance of red bell peppers, this casserole recipe will put them to good use. We used Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, but Zatarain's or any good brand will do.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning (divided use)
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 5 medium red sweet bell peppers, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1-15 oz can whole plum tomatoes
- 6 oz or 6 slices whole grain bread, finely crumbed
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- In large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the potatoes, sprinkling them with 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning. Fry for 10 minutes, turning twice. Remove with a slotted spatula or spoon and place potatoes in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Smooth into an even layer.
- Into the same skillet with the residual oil, place the onions and red sweet peppers. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning. Fry over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. Spoon the pepper mixture evenly over the potatoes in the baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Break or cut the canned tomatoes into bits. Pour them, with their tomato juice, evenly over the casserole.
- Combine the fresh bread crumbs with the melted butter and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Creole seasoning. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly on top of the casserole. Bake 30 minutes. Serve hot with a green salad.