Tomatillo Freezer JamThis batch of jam will keep about a year in the freezer, and is truly delicious. It is great on toast or served in crepes or on pancakes.
Makes 6-7 pints.
- 16 c tomatillos (about 5 pounds)
- 4 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1- 3 oz package vegetarian lime gelatin dessert (We used Gefin Kosher Jell Dessert.)
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and wash them thoroughly. Drain and set aside until dry.
- Working in 4-6 batches, process the tomatillos in a food processor or blender until they resemble crushed pineapple. Place the crushed tomatillos with their juices in two 7-8 quart pots (or one very large canning pot).
- Add half the sugar and cardamom to each pot and stir well. Place the pots over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add a drop of food coloring and half the lime Jell Dessert to each pot of tomatillos and stir well, cooking the jam another minute or so.
- Dip your clean canning jars in a pot of very hot water to temper them. Lay a clean towel on your work surface and place the jars or freezer safe containers on it. Using a canning funnel, ladle the hot jam into the jars/containers and allow to completely cool before tightly capping them up.
- Freeze the jam for up to a year. Once defrosted, use within a month or so.