Pumpkin Pear JamThis low calorie jam is not too sweet, and the flavors of the pears and pumpkin shine through. Quick and easy to make, this is a delight when spread on toast or dolloped on ice cream or yogurt.
Makes 2 cups.
- 2 medium ripe pears
- 2 c water
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 cardamon seeds or 1/8 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 c pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 1/3 c packed brown sugar
- Peel, core and roughly chop the pears. Place in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cloves and cardamon seeds.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 20 minutes.
- Remove seeds. Use a potato masher to break down pears in pot until they resemble the consistency of crushed pineapple.
- Add pumpkin and brown sugar. Bring back to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered another 20 minutes, stirring often until thick.
- Remove from heat. Cool, cover and transfer to a jar or refrigerator container. Keep refrigerated.