Makes 4 pints.
- 3 lb (about 9 medium) naval oranges
- 2 Tbsp distilled vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 4 c filtered water
- 3 1/4 c unrefined sugar
- Place the oranges and the lemon in a large pot of water; add vinegar. Scrub the oranges well to remove any impurities. Rinse well.
- Cut one orange in half. Lay it, flat side down, on your board; slice it very thinly, then chop the slices in half. Put them in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Slice the remaining oranges and lemon the same way. Add them to the pot.
- Add filtered water; stir. Cover the pot; allow to stand overnight or for at least five hours.
- Place the pot on your stove, add sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 40 minutes or until you see a deeper color and thicker consistency.
- Pour into hot, sterilized bottles. Wipe rims with a clean towel and close with sterilized lids and rings. Turn upside-down on a clean towel and leave undisturbed for 8 hours. Check lids for a tight seal and store on your pantry shelf. Once opened, refrigerate and use within a month or two.