Mexican Hot CarrotsMy Marinated Jalapenos and Carrots recipe has become a staple in our house. It calls for a jar of pickled jalapeno peppers. This new recipe uses fresh jalapenos and more tradition Mexican spices.
Makes 1 quart.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 2 c water
- 1/2 c distilled white vinegar
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry cilantro
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Prepare vegetables: Cut carrots on the diagonal into 1/3 inch slices. Cut onion in half and then slice. Leaving seeds in, slice the jalapenos 1/3 inch thick.
- Place carrots and water in a 2 quart saucepan and bring to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes.
- Reserving cooking liquid, remove carrots with slotted spoon and place them in a heat-proof 6-cup covered dish.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the saucepan with the carrot cooking liquid. Bring to boiling over medium heat, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour hot mixture over the carrots, stir, and allow to cool in the dish. Cover tightly and refrigerate 8 hours before serving.