Mango Star Anise JamHere is an exotic-tasting jam that will make your morning toast a special treat. Easy to make, you can store 2 jars in the freezer for up to 3 months, and use the third jar straight from the refrigerator within a month.
Makes about 3 pints of jam.
- 2 pounds ripe mangoes
- 1/2 c water
- 1/3 c lemon juice
- 2 c sugar
- 3-4 whole star anise seed pods
- 3 drops yellow and 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Peel mangoes and cut scallops off the sides all the way around the pit. Roughly chop the mango scallops. Place in a large heavy pot.
- Add water, lemon juice, sugar and anise seed pods. Bring to boiling over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes. Use a potato masher to break down the mangoes to the desired chunkiness.
- Continue simmering another 20 minutes or so, or until it deepens in color and has been reduced to a thick consistency. (To test for consistency, you can do a saucer test as described below.*)
- Fish out the star anise and add food coloring. Stir carefully until uniform in color.
- Cool, and fill well-cleaned hot pint bottles to within 1/2 inch of the lid. Cool 30 minutes before sealing. Use clean tight-fitting lids to seal. Place in refrigerator and use within a month, or freeze and use within 3 months. (Once defrosted use within a month.)
*Saucer Test: Place a saucer in the freezer for at least 5 minutes. Drop a spoonful of jam on the saucer and return it to the freezer for 60 seconds. Run your finger through the center of the jam, making a clean path. If the path fills back in right away, the jam is not ready. If the path remains clear, it's done.