Freezer Bread n Butter Pickles
Farmers' Markets often carry the pickling cucumbers, and they are inexpensive. This old-fashioned pickle recipe produces sweet and sour, crunchy pickles. It's just the thing for those hot summer suppers and picnics...and it's easy to make!
Makes abut 7 cups.
- 2 qt sliced pickling cucumbers (2 lb)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 Tbsp coarse salt
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c water
- 2/3 c red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- In a large pot, mix together the cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, garlic and coarse salt. Allow to stand 3 hours.
- Rinse briefly and drain thoroughly. Return to pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Ladle pickles with their broth into clean jars or zip-lock freezer bags.
- Seal tightly and freeze for up to 6 months. Once thawed, refrigerate, and use within 2 weeks.