Easy Mexican Hot Carrots
This recipe is the easiest of the three recipes I have posted for pickled carrots. The carrots are cooked together with the seasonings, and the result is very good. This is a way to have a low-calorie, healthy snack or treat.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dry cilantro
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- Peel carrots; slice them on the diagonal so they are about 1/3 inch thick.
- Remove stems from jalapeños; slice them with seeds intact at about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place carrots, jalapeños, and onions in a two-quart or larger pot. Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from flame and cool.
- Transfer to a canning jar or glass refrigerator container with tight lid. Store in refrigerator and use within 2-3 weeks.