Honeyed Strawberry JamNothing tastes better than homemade strawberry jam. This recipe makes a freezer jam that will keep a few months. Once defrosted and opened, use the jam within 10 days.
Makes about 5 cups.
- 2 quarts hulled strawberries
- 1 tart cored apple, shredded with peel
- 1 c honey
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place all ingredients in a large pot over medium heat. Bring to simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash strawberries to desired consistency. Continue to simmer another 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Jam is done when it passes the following saucer test: Place a saucer in the freezer for at least 5 minutes. Drop a spoonful of jam on the saucer and return it to the freezer for 60 seconds. Run your finger through the center of the jam, making a clean path. If the path fills back in right away, the jam is not ready and you should simmer it another 5 minutes. If the path remains clear, it's done.
- Place jelled jam in very clean bottles. Fill to 1 inch from the top. When cool, cap them and freeze them up to 3 months. Once defrosted, refrigerate and use within 10 days.