Veggie Sausage Grits BakeCedar Lakes Meatless Breakfast Sausages work very well in this recipe. Just thinly slice three of them for this dish. You will enjoy this dish for breakfast or dinner. Serve with homemade biscuits and orange slices.
- 2 1/2 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c quick grits
- 1 1/4 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 c frozen peas with diced carrots
- 1 c vegetarian breakfast sausage, finely sliced or crumbled
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dry rubbed sage
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking pan.
- In medium saucepan heat the water and salt to boiling.
- Gradually stir in grits and lower heat.
- Cover and simmer ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in a cup of the cheese and the butter.
- Add the frozen vegetables, separating them with a fork should they stick together.
- Add in the sausage, cilantro, sage, egg and sour cream and blend well.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes and cool 10 minutes before serving.