TVP Breakfast Sausage Patties
These vegetarian breakfast patties may be frozen and reheated as needed for breakfasts. They may also be crumbled up for use in various recipes. I think you'll agree that they have it all over Morning Star Farms breakfast patties, are much less expensive, and can be made with organic, non-GMO ingredients.
Makes about 18 small patties.
- 2 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 c textured soy protein (medium bits)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp gumbo ffilé (optional)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp rubbed sage or 1 tsp powdered sage
- 2 tsp Spanish smoked paprika or plain paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder or 4 tsp granulated onion flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- In medium saucepan, combine water, soy bits, fenugreek, fennel, gumbo ffilé, red pepper, garlic, salt, sugar, black pepper, sage, paprika, and onion. Bring to heat over medium high, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often and adding 1/4 c more water if needed.
- Cool at least 5 minutes. Add vital wheat gluten and flour; stir until very well blended. Add egg, stirring well.
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees (or heat large skillet over medium heat and split into 2-3 batches). Spread oil evenly on griddle. Drop sausage patty mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls or form in hands. When brown, flip over and press down a bit. Brown well and cook until set throughout. Drain on clean toweling.