Toaster Oven Homemade BreadWhile a high or rounded loaf will not fit in most toaster ovens, you can make this Italian style flat bread (which is similar in appearance to focaccia) without heating up a big oven. It's delicious!
Makes one medium loaf of bread.
- 1/3 c hot water
- 1/3 c buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lecithin granules
- 1/4 tsp ginger (for dough conditioning)
- 1/2 c cookedKhorasan or other wheat berries (optional)
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- In a medium bowl, blend hot water and buttermilk to get a tepid temperature (115-110 degrees F). Stir in honey and yeast and allow to proof 10 minutes.
- Add oil, vinegar, salt, lecithin, ginger and wheat berries; stir with wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the all purpose and whole wheat pastry flours. When too thick to stir, knead by hand in the bowl, or on a lightly floured surface, for about 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover, and allow to rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled. Punch down and repeat.
- Pat the dough out on a smooth surface until it is roughly the size of the baking sheet that comes with the toaster oven. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dough on top, patting it again into shape. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and press them in slightly. Allow to rise about 20 minutes, or until puffed up a bit.
- Place a sheet of foil loosely over the top of the dough to prevent over-browning and bake in the center of the toaster oven and bake at 300 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, or until well-baked through and beginning to brown.
- Place on a wire cooling rack until served. To make sandwiches, slice in half crosswise.