Falafel WafflesThis recipe comes to us from my son who is an excellent cook. Use our recipe for Easy Whole Wheat Pita bread for a perfect sandwich.
Makes 4 large falafel waffles.
- 1-(15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 c minced onion
- 1/4 c minced parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 c vegetable oil (plus more for waffle iron)
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 c wheat germ
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp dry cilantro
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp sumac (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- Crush beans completely with a potato masher (or use a food processor or kitchen chopper). Place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend very well until a thick, well-mixed dough forms.
- If using an electric waffle iron, fully preheat on medium. (For a stove-top iron, use low heat, and be sure to heat both sides of iron.) Brush iron generously with vegetable oil on both top and bottom.
- Scoop 1/4 of the dough in the center of the waffle iron and press down securely. Follow manufacturers instructions for timing. (If using a stove-top iron, cook waffles about 3 minutes on each side.)
- When done, release waffle on all sides, by gently prying with a fork or other implement. Remove to holding rack.
- Serve hot or at room temperature on pita bread, adding tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, lemon juice, tahini sauce, hummus and/or sour cream.