Danish Rye Porridge with PlumsLingonberries are the traditional fruit to pair with rye porridge, but we have substituted plums with good results! This porridge is a wonderful change from oatmeal.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 6 medium plums, pitted and finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 c dark rye pumpernickel meal
- 1/4 tsp mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- In a 2-quart or larger heavy pot on low heat, melt butter. Add plums and salt. Cover partially and cook 10-15 minutes, or until soft, stirring often.
- Add boiling water. Whisk in the rye meal. Continue stirring until the porridge reaches a simmer and is free of clots.
- Cover partially and simmer 15 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
- Remove from heat and stir in mace and brown sugar.
- Spoon into bowls and serve hot with extra brown sugar and/or milk. Garnish with thinly sliced plums and chopped almonds if desired.