Creamed Spinach : with Ham TVPCreamed Spinach makes a lovely side dish for any vegetarian meal. It also makes a good breakfast dish when served over our Texas Style Biscuits. The touch of ham TVP (textured vegetable or soy protein) in the dish gives it a traditional ham flavor.
- 1-10 oz box frozen chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ham-flavored TVP (or use bacon-flavored soy bits)
- /4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c milk
- Cook spinach according to package directions.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and saute the onion for about 8 minutes to develop flavor. Add the flour and stir with a whisk until no dry flour appears.
- Add the milk and whisk until it comes to a bare simmer. Continue whisking and simmering another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in the TVP, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Drain the spinach if needed and add to the pot. Stir until well-blended. Serve hot with an additional sprinkling of the ham-flavored TVP if desired. Great served over our Texas Style Biscuits.