Coconut Sour Cream Muffins
With a crunchy outside and fluffy, moist inside, these muffins are not too sweet. Serve them with any vegetarian breakfast for a special treat.
Makes 8 medium muffins.
- 1 2/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 c water
- 1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8-muffin baking tray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in the shortening until evenly distributed throughout.
- In a medium bowl, hand-beat the egg lightly. Add sour cream and water, and continue beating until well-blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the coconut.
- Fill muffin wells nearly full with the thick batter. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and set up. Cool in pan 5 minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or room temperature.