Tortilla Corn FrittersTortilla Corn Fritters can be served just as they are, or with salsa and sour cream. They are great way to use up extra corn tortillas and taste delicious with a side of refried beans or an avocado salad.
Makes about 12 small fritters.
- 4 corn tortillas torn in small pieces
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red chili or cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1 c corn, drained (fresh, defrosted, or canned)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- In medium bowl, soak tortilla bits in boiling water 10 minutes. Add mixture to food processor or blender and process until nearly pureed.
- Add egg, butter, onion powder, ground red chili, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and flour. Pulse several times. Return to bowl; stir in the flour. When well-blended, fold in the corn.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the oil. Drop half of the batter (about 6 fritters) by rounded tablespoons in the oiled skillet. Fry 2-3 minutes and turn once or twice, or until browned on both sides. Remove to serving plate and repeat with the second batch. Serve hot.