Rice Flour Roti
For those with gluten sensitivity, this is a great recipe. I like the mild rice flavor of this flatbread as well as the light texture.
Makes 12 medium roti.
- 2 c rice flour
- 2 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- olive oil
- Place the rice flour, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and heat on medium low setting, constantly stirring until thick and starting to bubble.
- Remove from heat, cover, and allow to stand about 30 minutes, until the rice has absorbed moisture and is cool enough to handle.
- Sprinkle rice flour on your work surface and turn the dough out. Add rice flour to the top. Knead for about 2 minutes, adding flour as needed.
- When dough is pliable and smooth, break into 12 equal pieces and roll each in a ball.
- Preheat a grill or large heavy skillet on medium.
- Place a dough ball on a sheet of wax paper and cover with another sheet of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out to an 8-inch disc. (Roti may also be pressed on an 8-inch tortilla press that has been lightly oiled on top and bottom.)
- Cook several minutes on each side, until golden spots appear. Transfer to a holding plate and continue until all roti are cooked.
- Use roti with any curry or use as a substitute for corn tortillas in hispanic cuisine.