Millers Bran Muffins
Many bran muffin recipes call for bran cereal, but this one uses a good amount of miller's bran, or wheat bran. It makes a lovely breakfast or lunchbox treat.
Makes 12 muffins.
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda.
- 1/4 c shortening
- 1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c miller's bran
- 1 c raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 12-muffin baking tray.
- In a medium bowl, blend the buttermilk, boiling water and baking soda.
- In another medium bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Blend in the egg and beat until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and bran.
- To the flour mixture, alternately add the buttermilk mixture and the shortening mixture. Mix well. Fold in 3/4 cup of the raisins, reserving the rest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin wells to about 2/3 full. Scatter a few of the remaining raisins on top of each muffin.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes before turning muffins out on a cooling rack.