Lemon Cucumber BreadIf you love cucumbers as much as I do, you will enjoy this delicately flavored tea bread that is a wonderful snack or breakfast treat. Serve with a mug of tea or coffee!
Makes one large loaf.
- 1-2 cucumbers (1 cup shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- zest of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 or 10 inch loaf pan.
- Peel cucumber(s) and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds by scraping with a spoon. Place roughly chopped cucumber in a food processor/kitchen chopper and pulse until finely shredded (or finely grate on a box grater). Measure out one cup of shredded cucumber.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until creamy. Add sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and shredded cucumber. Continue to whisk until very well blended.
- Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, and blend until no dry ingredients appear.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Cool 5 minutes, turn onto rack and cool until warm or room temperature.