Honey Health BreadHere is a loaf of bread that tastes great with our Spiced Plum Jam recipe. It is loaded with nutrition but remains light and moist with a dense texture.
Makes one large loaf.
- 3/4 tsp dry yeast
- 1 c warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 c unbleached white bread flour
- 1/4 c wheat germ
- 1/4 c whey protein isolate
- 4 tsp olive oil (divided use)
- 2 tsp vegetable shortening or softened butter
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast with the warm water and honey. Allow to stand 5 minutes, then add the salt, flour, wheat germ. whey protein, and 3 tsp of the olive oil. Blend with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Knead in the bowl for about 3 minutes or until the dough looks satiny. Cover with a clean towel and set to rise in a warm place for one hour or until double in size.
- Grease a large loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inch) lightly with shortening or butter (oil will make the bread stick). Punch the dough down and knead it in the bowl again for 1-2 minutes. Form it into a loaf shape and place it in the greased loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise for 45-60 minutes, or until double.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out onto a rack and cool for at least 45 minutes before slicing and serving.