Easy Whole Wheat PitaIf you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, you can make pita in a snap, and add a healthy amount of whole wheat flour, wheat germ or nutritional yeast to the mix. Delicious when filled with cucumbers, lettuce, Homemade Falafels and Greek Yogurt and Cucumber Sauce (Tzatziki).
Makes 6 pita breads.
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 c warm water (about 110 to 115 deg.)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Using the large bowl of a stand mixer with dough hooks, dissolve yeast in 1/4 c of the water; add sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Sift flours and salt on a sheet of wax paper. Using wax paper as a 'funnel', pour 1/2 of the flour mixture into the mixer bowl.
- Start the mixer on low speed, adding the remaining flour little by little and alternating with the remaining half-cup of water.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 3 minutes more or until dough climbs hook.
- Remove the mixer bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel and put in a warm place free of drafts for 1 hour. Dough should be doubled in bulk.
- Knead by hand on a floured surface about 1 minute. Divide dough into 6 balls.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll balls into 4.5-5 inch disks.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and place the lightly floured disks on it. Let rise about 20 minutes in a warm, dark place.
- Preheat oven to 475 deg..
- Bake about 6 minutes in the center of the oven, until puffed and lightly browned.