Cream Cheese Cornbread
This unusual cornbread has a biscuit-like texture and bits of lovely cream cheese throughout. The corn flavor comes out beautifully too!
Makes 9 medium squares of cornbread.
- 1 c fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 c all purposed unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 8 Tbsp cold cream cheese
- 1 c cold plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Cut in the cream cheese with a fork or pastry blender until fine dollops of cream cheese are distributed throughout.
- Stir in the yogurt with a wooden spoon until well-incorporated and you have the texture of thick biscuit dough.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Use damp hands to smooth and compact the top of the dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan several minutes before slicing and serving. Wrap leftover portions snugly and use within 2 days, or freeze and use within a month.