This bread has a soft, spongy texture that makes wonderful sandwich bread!
Makes one large loaf bread.
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 1 c water
- 1/2 c rolled barley flakes
- 3 Tbsp date syrup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c raw wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the yogurt, water, date syrup and olive oil to a boil. Lower heat and simmer one minute. Remove from heat and cool 30 minutes.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixture with a dough hook, whisk together the flour, wheat germ, gluten, yeast, and salt until very well blended.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to stand mixer, mixing on low and scraping sides and bottom of bowl until a soft dough forms.
- Turn mixer to medium low and beat the dough for about 10 minutes. (Dough will be soft and will not climb the dough hook.)
- Scrape dough into a large, oiled bowl. Oil top and cover with a clean towel. Allow to rise in a warm, dark place for one hour.
- Deflate and turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Fold over two or three times.
- Press dough into a rectangle, then roll tightly into a loaf shape. Place in a buttered 9-inch loaf pan, cover, and allow to rise 45 minutes, or until it is an inch over the top of the pan.
- Place loaf slightly below center in a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 375 degrees F, and bake 45 minutes. (Bread will be dark brown and soft.)
- Turn loaf out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.