Banana Wheat Dinner Bread"
This bread is mildly sweet, and makes a great accompaniment to many vegetarian dinners. I served it recently with my recipe for African Bean and Squash Stew.
Makes 3 small (4-cup) loaves.
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c mashed ripe bananas (about 5 medium bananas)
- 2/3 c vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 3 (1 pound) loaf pans with vegetable shortening.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until well blended.
- Add mashed bananas, oil, eggs, and honey. Beat on low one minute.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Turn mixer to medium and beat another minute.
- Divide batter evenly in the three pans, filling them about half-full.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean.
- Remove to cooling rack and allow to cool 2 hours before slicing.
- Use within a day, or wrap carefully and freeze until needed.