Lentil Nopale Oven Stew
This is a very easy recipe. Be sure to pick a tender young cactus paddle (nopale) for best results.
- 1 small cactus paddle (nopale)
- 1 c brown lentils
- 4 c water
- 2 c cabbage, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley or chervil, minced
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter or oil a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Remove the thorns from the nopale, scraping it with a knife.
- Chop the nopale into a 1/2 inch dice.
- Add the nopales, lentils, water, cabbage, carrot and parsley to the casserole dish and stir.
- Bake uncovered 75 minutes.
- Add the butter, salt and pepper; stir well before serving hot with bread.