Lentil Beet Loaf
Makes 1 large loaf.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can sliced beets
- 2 1/2 c cooked brown or green lentils, well-drained
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1/3 c potato flakes
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp ketchup (plus extra for topping)
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp season salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9-inch loaf pan. Place a trimmed sheet of parchment on the bottom and butter it as well.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion and celery. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and Serrano pepper; sauté another 2 minutes. Place skillet mixture in a large bowl.
- Drain beets, rinse and drain again. Finely mince beets with a chef's knife or in an electric chopper. Add to the bowl.
- Add lentils, oats, potato flakes, eggs, ketchup, Worcestershire, marjoram, and season salt. Blend well.
- Spread this mixture evenly in the prepared loaf pan. Bake 1 hour.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife. Invert loaf on platter. Remove parchment paper. Decorate top with ketchup. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and vegetables.