Black Bean Chili
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 c vegetarian ground beef (or finely minced seitan)
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c Pasilla pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp dry cilantro flakes (or 1 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro)
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp vegetable salt or sea salt to taste
- 1 c tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (19.5 oz) can black beans with packing liquid (or 2 1/2 c cooked beans)
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add vegetarian ground beef and sauté for a few minutes, or until lightly browned and firmed up.
- Add onion, Pasilla pepper, and red bell pepper. Sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, cilantro, taco seasoning, cumin and vegetable salt. Sauté another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and black beans with liquid. Bring to simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, stir well, cover. Simmer 25 minutes, stirring two or three times.
- Place in serving bowls. Sprinkle with sliced green onions or minced cilantro if desired. Serve hot.