Mushroom Pocket Snacks
I served these recently as a side dish with a vegetarian meal, but they also would be lovely as a snack or appetizer with a plum chutney.
Makes 16 medium pocket snacks.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (plus more for oiling)
- 1/2 medium, mild onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz Baby Bella (Crimini) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence or Italian herbs
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c shredded Romano cheese
- 2-4 Tbsp quick oats (if needed)
- 1 LB egg roll wraps (16) Nasoya
- In a large skillet on medium low heat, warm the oil. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, and salt; saute another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Herbes de Provence, Worcestershire, pepper and Romano. If the filling seems too wet, add quick oats a tablespoon at a time, combining well. (It needs to be moist, but with not wet, to allow for crispy pockets.)
- Cool 15 minutes and set on work station, along with the egg roll wraps under a damp towel, a small bowl of water, a small bowl of oil, a pastry brush and a large, well oiled baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place one egg roll wrap on the work station diagonally, with a point facing you. Dip your finger in water and run it around the edges of the wrapper.
- Place a rounded (not heaping) tablespoon of filling in the center, fold the bottom corner over filling, rolling snugly half-way to cover filling.
- Fold in both sides snuggly against filling; moisten edges of last flap.
- Roll wrap up and seal top corner; lay flap-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with oil on top and bottom.
- Continue until all 16 pockets are folded and oiled.
- Bake 10 minutes, Remove and flip each pocket over. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
- Serve hot as is, or with your favorite dipping sauce.