Crunchy Sesame Sticks
I have reworked an earlier recipe in order to make a healthier, crunchier snack. I like to serve this on table game nights, but this is also a great snack for sports events or to pack in a lunch box. Enjoy!
Makes about 100-130 sesame sticks.
- 1/4 c flaxseed meal
- 6 Tbsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp Browning and Seasoning Sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 c sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and lightly oil two baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flaxseed meal, water, and Browning Sauce together; allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Add in the oil and tahini; mix until well-incorporated.
- In a small bowl, blend the flour, brown sugar, salt, and sesame seeds. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well. Knead in bowl one or two minutes.
- Turn out on counter and divide in fourths. Roll each dough ball into a long flat roll (approximately 1/4 inch thick by 1 inch wide by 10 inches long.
- Using a butter knife, cut each roll into about 25-30 pieces.
- Roll each piece between your palms briefly, forming small tapered sticks. Place half of the sticks on each of the two baking sheets and separate them, so none are touching.
- Bake 30 minutes, rotating and exchanging upper and lower sheets mid-way. Remove and allow to cool completely in the pans. Transfer to snack dishes and serve. Store any unused portion in a covered container.