Cream of Chayote SoupChayote is a squash-like vegetable that can be used with little waste. Peels and seed do not have to be removed for this soup. Very easy and nutritious!
- 1 medium chayote
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced (or dry rosemary)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- dash cayenne
- 1 c water
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c cooked soybeans, drained (or use pinto beans)
- 1/2 c potato buds (instant potato flakes)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Cut the unpeeled chayote into 1/3 inch pieces. Peel the carrot, and cut to same size. Medium-chop onion and celery. Place all in a large pot.
- Add rosemary, salt, paprika, cayenne, water, milk, and soy beans; cook over medium heat until just beginning to simmer.
- Stir well and reduce heat to low. Partially cover the pot and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.
- When the chayote and carrots are tender, add butter and potato buds. Stir for a minute or two to dissolve the potato buds. Allow to stand covered for 5 minutes. Stir again until creamy and serve hot.