Besan Banana Muffins (Gluten-Free)
This easy recipe for gluten-free muffins is made with besan, which is chickpea flour. The full amount of oil is necessary to counter the drying qualities of besan. These muffins, great for breakfasts and snacks, are moist, light, and delicious!
Makes 8 medium muffins.
- 2 1/2 c besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c honey
- 2 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard-sized (1/2 cup each) 8-muffin tin including the top rim where the muffin top may extend, using vegetable shortening, butter or cooking spray. (Do not use oil, or they will stick!)
- Into a large bowl, sift together the besan, baking powder, cardamom, and sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas fairly finely (though they don't have to be completely pureed). Add olive oil and honey and beat by hand until well blended.
- Spoon banana mixture into the dry ingredients; mix well to form a thick, sticky batter.
- Scoop into muffin pan by scant half-cups, nearly filling them to the brim.
- To make the topping, mix together the raw sugar and cardamom. Sprinkle a half-teaspoon of the topping evenly on each muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until just golden brown and cracked on top. (Do not overbake or they will be dry!) Allow to stand in baking pan 5 minutes before loosening the sides and removing to a cooling rack.